People riding motorcycles in the US wave a lot

People riding motorcycles in the US wave a lot
Here in the US people on motorcycles tend to wave at anything on two wheels. There is this huge population of new riders who have adopted every aspect of the biker lifestyle except the long hair because that's the one thing you can't buy at the local Big Dog dealer. And they wave because they know that's what bikers do. Often the passenger is the designated waver, and will cause the bike to swerve as they do their bikerly duty. I even get waves from Harley riders when I am zipping down the street on my Chinese scooter (before having it towed home). Sometimes they do start to wave, see I am on a scooter, and pull the hand in so as not to appear to have been waving at a scooter.

What I have noticed is that when I am out in a car or on my bicycle, I wave at other bikers out of habit (20K miles a year on a bike, 2K in a car on average), and get more return waves on the bicycle than in the car.

No comments: